Tuesday, November 18, 2008

History

I was recently asked to write a chapter for a book on the history of dialysis.

Once started writing, I began to regret: It is not easy to find suitable reference from the Internet.

On a morning last week, the server of the university computer system was down. I looked at the half-finished manuscript and began to wonder what I could do. Naturally I went through the small library in my office - and a small paperback volume attracted my attention.

The title is: Peritoneal Dialysis - Summary from the Second European Meeting.

By thumbing through the pages I find a wealth of information on the development and change in our practice since the last millennium. In no time I understand how to finish with the rest of the chapter.

The trouble is: this book was given to me by the man who still had a moustache - when I first became his trainee some 15 years ago.

And it was meant to be an up-to-date review of the subject at that time !

Time flies.

How depressing.

No comments: