Sunday, December 30, 2007

Kafka

I was first introduced to Kafka by WK - my roommate - in the second year of my medical school, and was soon infatuated with his legendary life and mythical stories. Who else can write those fantastic novels but do not have to make a living from it ? In addition to anatomy and pharmacology, that year gave endless memory on Metamorphosis, The Trial, many of his short stories and ingenious comments. (Here is the best one: In the middle of an ever-growing crowd of people, we become more and more lonely.)

For some unknown reason, I did not have a chance to read The Castle until I started preparing for my membership exam. In retrospect that was fortunate because this piece was probably too difficult for a teenager. I read it cover-to-cover twice, and (believe I) am able to comprehend the meaning - until the two helpers of K appear. (Alas, that means 10% of it.) I always plan to read it yet another time.

That's life. One always fancies things which he could not understand and admires people whom he could only worship from a distance. When all secrets are revealed and idols put under close scrutiny, Eva and Adam cannot stay in Eden.

No comments: