Thursday, February 7, 2008

Apple

If my story on choosing to have surgery before holiday is the tip of an iceberg, then medical decision is an iceberg at the edge of north pole - and not a big one.

There are so many things that we have to make decision - many of them have no right-or-wrong answer. Should I spend tonight with my family, or out with my friends ? Should I follow my interest to choose my job, or take the one with better prospect ? Should we respect privacy, or the right to know of the public ? (For some of our friends in the new world: Should I vote for the shrewd woman, or the black idealist ?) I touch the piece of apple stuck in my throat; it is not yet digested to give intelligence.

No, here is Satan's trick. No kind of intelligence could give us the black-and-white answer to these questions (that's why the apple was meant for Adam's throat, not his stomach) because there is actually no such answer - and probably no such answer for most of the questions in life. God is the one who tell us there are definite answers: you should do this and that. (No. I should follow the idea of Spinoza: God does not tell us the definite answer; god is the definite answer.) When we realize there is no definite answer and we can - alas, have to - choose, god leaves our soul - and we leave Eden.

Then, where does intelligence come along ? Here is what you've been fooled: intelligence is merely the bait on Satan's hook. He makes us believe that there are definite answers - and we can know the answer after taking the apple of intelligence. Once we eat the apple, our eyes open and realize, as Nietzsche said, god is dead.

No comments: