Monday, February 4, 2008

Holiday

Encounter a few cases in the grand round who need early surgery but feasible session of the operating theatre would only be avaiable before the Chinese new year - when everyone do not want to stay in the hospital.

As alway, KM was cool and unemotional, "I am not too concerned with the holiday and would certain welcome the surgery if I were having a cancer."

"I will not, because I am not sure if I can see the new year next time." My arguement was rather pessemistic.

There is no right or wrong here. It's just a matter of value and personal priority. The problem is: If two equally abled physicians (assuming I am one) have such a divided opinion on even this kind of trivial matter, what and how should we advise our patients ?

(PS. Of course I would not tell a patient not to have surgery before the new year because I am not sure if he could see the next one !)

No comments: