Sunday, December 14, 2014

Address

Met my friend PC during lunch. Somehow, our conversation came to the topic of social mobility in Hong Kong.

"I could understand very well why the youngsters nowadays become frustrated." He began.

"Yes...?"

"Take doctor as an example," he explained, "You know, any doctor graduated thirty years before I became a doctor could afford living on the Peak."

I nodded.

"And, doctors graduated twenty years before I do live in the Mid-Levels. For those ten years more senior than me, they settle comfortably in the North Point or Tai Koo. When it comes to me, only a small apartment in Kowloon Tong."

"Or Lam Tin, like me," I laughed and added. 

"Now, from what I heard recently, new fellows could only afford buying second-hand flat of the Home Ownership Scheme."

I must say I don't think PC's apartment is anything small, but he did make an important point.

No comments: