Sunday, December 7, 2014

Cost

“You know, it doesn’t feel good to abandon a trainee if they don’t perform well. We should give them a chance and see if they could improve. After all, we have a moral responsibility to them.”

“You have a point there,” I nodded, “Nonetheless, it really depends on how you see it. If you take the perspective of a trainee, you are entirely right. However, the benefit of trainee should be taken care of by themselves.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, as a leader, you should consider the matter and think of the benefit of your team or department.”

“Which means… what?”

“Which means, as the provider of training, it is more cost effective for a department to give up a problematic trainee and find a more promising one to take up the post. The effort you need is much less, and the risk of any medical incident is much lower.”

My words are bitter to taste and difficult to swallow – I know from the face of my friend.

No comments: