Monday, December 15, 2014

Retire

PC and I went on to talked about our daughters and other personal matters. A moment later, he suddenly made a curious remark, "You know, I just worry I do not have enough money to retire."

I was surprised. PC is a consultant in another department and his wife is a senior doctor in another hospital. They have a daughter - studying in a private school - and, as far as I know, no other expensive hobby. He is close to finish with the mortgage of his apartment in Kowloon Tong, of which the price actually goes up drastically after he bought it some ten years ago.

"How could that be?"

"My wife and I put much of our income for settling the mortgage. We also plan to send our daughter overseas for schooling. And, you know, we are rather hopeless when it comes to investment."

"I see - but I suppose it depends on what kind of life you want to lead after retirement, doesn't it?"

"Oh, my. I just want to keep my current standard of living." He sighed.

In no time, I could see that is a mathematical question.

No comments: