Saturday, September 24, 2016

Change

(My discussion with L continued.)

"My friend, there is a weakness in your argument." L said.

"And that is...?"

"It is obviously true that we often cannot choose our occupation, but, can't we alter what we love? If the circumstances make you a nephrologist rather than some position that you love - say, a neurosurgeon - wouldn't it be possible that you gradually change your mind, find the new subject interesting, and fall in love with it?"

"You may be right," I paused for a moment, "But, after reading Carol Dweck recently, I could say with confidence that not everyone could change their mind that easily. In fact, I suspect the ability to change one's own mind is inborn and fixed per se. A good many people are stuck with the unfortunate cul-de-sac that they have to endure an unbearable job."

My friend smile, "Absolutely. But that's not my point..."

No comments: