Friday, March 13, 2009

Present

It was Euterpe's birthday yesterday. Following the advise of Warren, the present I bought for my daughter this year was one-lot of Construction Bank of China.

Don't be silly. It is not the kind of education fund that I save for my daughter. I always consider that kind of financial planning an excessive micro-management. Why on earth do we set up one fund for children's education, another for our medical need, yet another for retirement ... Shouldn't we just put all savings together and get some benefit of the scale ?

But I do buy Euterpe some stocks - not for the money per se, but for setting her an example of serious investment and planning for the future. It is a brutal fact, but a fact nonetheless, that we should mind our expenditure and prepare for bad days.

And having some stock of your own is an excellent way to raise your interest in what's happening on earth. (I mean the financial tsunami or local employment status, rather than why that pop-idol took some explicit pictures.) Although human beings are political animals, human activities are largely economic activities.

PS. You may wonder why I choose #939 amongst all other companies with an equally good quality. It's just a random pick - the names sounds suitable for a birthday present.

No comments: