Saturday, March 29, 2008

Details

One all time favorite stock of JW - and of mine to some extend - is a particular insurance company.

My only reservation is that this company has the most complicated annual report that I have ever encountered. As Benjamin Graham said, "The primary principle is to avoid trouble." If there are so many (to me) incomprehensible details, I would simply drop it.

For more than once, those friendly people in the bank recommended to me various kinds of "products" - funds, ELI, and so forth. "After 5 years, the return is linked to the price of 30 stocks ..." "You will have a guaranteed return, the amount of which depends on the change of 20 market indexes over the globe ..." Thanks to Graham's teaching, which saved me in countless times. (Yes, dyslexia is a gift - look at the American president.)

You may say, "That's because you are demented. Young and intelligent chaps like me have no problem to read the report."

Absolutely. And that's why old people should not step into risky investment - which is defined as any thing whose detail could not be comprehended by our declining number of neurons.

No comments: