Thursday, March 27, 2008

Gambling

C - a good friend of Vivian - had a long chat with my wife over the phone last night. One of the topics, as I could overhear (not eavesdrop, I promise !), was buying warrant.

My jaw fell onto the floor.

After the call, I asked Vivian, "When did the old girl become interested in gambling ?"

"Oh, she just wants to save a bit more money."

I can understand, but hardly agree. As Andre Kostolany said (in Die Kunst über Geld nachzudenken [一個投機者的告白]): the quality of a company is the master, and the price of the share is the dog - the latter wander around the former. Although the dog may sometimes be naughty and runs far ahead - or behind - the master, in the long run, it is the man who leads the way.

And warrant is a flea on the dog: It feeds on the dog, seems very small but can run as fast as, if not faster than, the four-legged animal. The bad thing is: it does not follow the man and, because of its short life, may fall apart from the dog any time before the naughty pet could pick up the pace of its master.

There is an old Chinese sayings: 貪字變貧
They have not told you the phrase that follows: 輪字變輸

No comments: