Sunday, February 1, 2009

Donation

Receive a thank you letter from the organizing committee of the graduation dinner this year - for my donation to it.

It was in fact a small sum of money and to me it is no different from contributing to the gatherings and parties of our nurses, secretaries, or patient-support groups. Nonetheless there is a sense of uneasiness after I gave out the cheque. (Seriously I had the same feeling for some years - but every time I thought it seemed impolite to spoil the enthusiasm of our students.)

I have that uncomfortable feeling because the dinner is, I suppose, not meant to be a gathering of our graduates - for fun, saying sayonara to fellow classmates, or simply a feast - but to express their gratitude to teachers (if there is any; alas, that's why I never attend).

My goodness, we are not autistic office girls who, without a boyfriend, have to buy rose for ourselves and show off.

PS. By and large this blog is much belayed. I wished to write something about it when I first met the students, but my attention was soon attracted to other matters.

No comments: