Monday, December 28, 2009

Legacy

My friend VW recently expressed his concern of global warming (see http://vwswong.blogspot.com/2009/12/warm.html).

His worry was quite simple. In short, although it is unlikely that the sea level could have a meaningful rise during our life time, it seems mostly likely that the level would rise by at least 5.6 meters in the next 1000 years.

I could not agree more. As a parent, I am always concerned with what type of world I leave for Euterpe and her children.

However, at the same time, another story in ancient China comes through my mind:

***********************************

文承閒問其父嬰曰:「子之子為何?」曰:「為孫。」「孫之孫為何?」曰:「為玄孫。」「玄孫之孫為何?」曰:「不能知也。」文曰:「... 今君 ... 厚積餘藏,欲以遺所不知何人,而 忘公家之事日損,文竊怪之。」
史記卷七十五孟嘗君列傳

孟嘗君也。

***********************************

Is there any difference between monetary wealth and a metaphysical legacy ?

No comments: