Friday, February 11, 2011

Computer

Another thing that I did during the Lunar New Year holiday was buying a new laptop computer.

The existing one of mine was in use for over four years. I must say it was still in perfect function with its Windows XP and Office'97. (Difficult to believe, eh?) The only reason that I need to find a new one is that my father-in-law is quite fed up with his lap top, which is still running Windows ME (I know you may not have even heard of this antique operating system), and he would not accept a brand new one.

It is in fact no fun to have a new computer at my age: I need to move all the personal files from my previous computer to the new one, and re-install every software. Contrary to your imagination, my personal files are not that much (around 7GB, because I have very few videos and not many photo) and it's not all that difficult to make a copy. The real difficulty is for the software: I have the habit of personalizing the Windows' setting and customizing Office toolbars. It is quite a nightmare to do it all again every few years.

PS. I always keep two copies of every personal file: one in the desk-top of my office, another in the lap-top at home. The last thing I do in my office everyday is to copy all files that I worked on that day to a finger disc, so that I could upload them back to my computer at home. Yes, there is a bit of trouble, but the price to pay for losing my working files is too high to risk.

No comments: