Saturday, February 12, 2011

Models

My new laptop is my seventh portable computer. It represents a vivid example of deflation and history of the electronic industry.

***************************

I had my first laptop in 1994, shortly after I passed my membership examination. It was a second-hand Philips from my friend SM; I bought it for HK$12000. At the same time, the Hang Seng Index was around 9000.

You could hardly find any sane person using Philips' laptop now.

***************************

In 1997, shortly before I set off for Bristol, I bought a Texas Instrument Travelmate for HK$22000 (when Hang Seng Index was 13000). It was the newest model and, like all products from TI, had an arm-breaking weight.

The next month after I had this third laptop of mine, TI sold the entire production line to Acer.

***************************

I was slightly cautious with Taiwan manufacturers and began using Toshiba since I came back Hong Kong. Most of the models appear a bit thick, but the Japanese company has excellent quality control and the products are durable. The last one I had was sold at HK$14000, when Hang Seng Index was 18000.

The problem is, only two kinds of product (and, unfortunately, also person) prosper in this world: those who are trendy and smart (like the Apple), and those that are cheap (I won't specify which or who). Humble hardworking ones like Toshiba just fade away: its global market share dropped from 9.8% in 2006 to 5.3% by the end of 2010.

I ended up being unable to find any Toshiba computer in the store this time.

No comments: