Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Number

We had a small luncheon gathering organized by JW.

On our way to the bistro, the professor of gastroenterology said, "You know, we had a small meeting a few days ago about the strategy of admitting new medical students - there will certainly be a whole lot of problems next year."

"Why's that?" I asked.

"It's kind of a perfect storm," my friend explained, "To begin with, it would be the change-over to the 3-3-4 system next year, and we shall be admitting two classes of medical students: the senior ones enter traditional year 1, the youngsters begin with the new preparatory year."

"Quite true." I nodded.

"Then, there comes the legislative council of increasing the number of medical students. We shall have 210 students, from 160 now, for each class. In other words, we will suddenly have 420 new medical students in our faculty."

"Oh, that's horrible," I was forced to agree, and I said to myself, "Are there so many teenagers suitable for being doctors?"

No comments: