Sunday, August 14, 2011

SPSS

While I was pondering about a flattened world and a few winners get all, VY, my new summer student rang me up.

"Do you have some time? I've got a problem here."

"What's up?" I asked.

"I can't find that SPSS software, which you asked me to download, from the internet," the other side of the phone said. (For those who are not familiar of our life, SPSS stands for Statistical Package for the Social Sciences and is the most popular computer software that we used for data analysis.)

In no time, I went to his office and search in Google. And, my student was right; there's no SPSS now.

It becomes IBM SPSS.

The original company SPSS Inc was acquired by IBM in mid 2009 (for US$1.2 billion). From 1st October 2010, SPSS was fully integrated into the IBM Corporation, and is now one of the brands under IBM Software Group's Business Analytics Portfolio.

Yes, it joins one of the winners who gets all.

PS. I must say although I try very hard to accommodate myself to new changes, the new IBM SPSS version 19 is too much for me. Many of the features in the older versions disappear, and the layout becomes very similar to SAS, its major competitor.

1 comment:

JW said...

Think about it. This is a good strategy to eliminate the competitor: while you have already kidnapped the original loyal customers who have few alternative choices, you need to make yourself look like your competitor (and look better through marketing) in order to catch the rest of potential customers.