Monday, August 1, 2011

Privatize

I found myself fortunate and was not eating while Sir Humphrey was making that last remark, or I would have died of suffocation.

"You know, although Mr. Murdoch seems to be in hot water at this moment, I consider that as a kind of road show and he probably did impressed some potential customers," the senior government official continued.

"I think the sales of all his newspapers dropped after the scandal was out?"

"Oh, I mean bigger business than that."

"Such as...?"

"Such as offering their service to governments that treat some people more equal than the others, or countries whose economic and technical advances are running far ahead of their humanistic quality."

I was silent, pondering to digest his meaning. All of a sudden, George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-four came across my mind, and I exclaimed, "You mean, the Big Brother could delegate his work - or get privatized !?"

"Privatization. That's exactly the word." Sir Humphrey smiled, "Wasn't that the reason why the old man supported Margaret Thatcher right from the beginning ?"

No comments: