Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Textbook

While thinking about medical textbooks, my secretary gave me a complimentary copy of the one newly published by our own department.

Thumbing through the pages, I was, as Philo Vance said, so impressed that I lost my nerve.

My colleague CB was particularly critical with the Medieval layout and sordid pages. Well, that didn't really trouble me - we had textbooks of a similar physical appearance when we were students.

But it was the scientific quality.

On a second thought, I should not worry too much. Any student with a measurable (not necessarily normal) visual acuity (take aside intelligence) could see whether a textbook is up to the standard.

PS. One of my colleagues suggested, "Our own textbook is less expensive and more affordable by the students."

My reply, even without thinking, was,"If they could afford a graduation dinner in some exotic hotel, why couldn't they spare some money for a better book ?"

No comments: