Friday, November 20, 2009

Evidence

You find my discussion yesterday convincing and are about to advocate against organic farming ? I was - until very lately.

The principal assumption is: organic farming is much less efficient (in terms of productivity) as compared to the modern intensive method.

But, what is the evidence ?

I must confess I was quite convinced with the assumption until I prepared to write this blog recently. When I look up for supporting evidence, I find it less assuring.

To put it simply, a number of observational and comparative (not randomized controlled) studies found that organic farms have 10 to 20% lower yields than their conventional counterparts in developed countries. On the other hand, the former have 20 to 30% higher yields than their low-intensity counterparts in developing countries. (The reason is probably a lack of expensive fertilizers and pesticides in the developing world.) When you consider a global picture, there is a slight reduction in productivity, but by a few percents only.

The lesson ? Never appeal to authority. As Martin Ruth advised: You will find it very good practice always to verify your references.

No comments: