Monday, November 23, 2009

Memory

You may find it amazing that I could still remember my "job interview" so well. In fact, that's not a privilege of mine. On the morning after the dinner with my laboratory friends, I met AL - my colleague who recent took the membership examination - when I was going to the clinic.

My little friend sighed, "You know, it's over three weeks, but I'm still having such a vivid memory - scenes of the examination keep flashing back."

"Of course," I tried to be reassuring, "I could still remember scenes of my membership and even final MB examination - even though they were in the last millennium !"

**********************************

Actually, even my previous mentor - the man who used to have a moustache - has the same experience. Here is one little scene that he kept telling his trainees (yes, that's me some 15 years ago):

After the written and clinical examinations in the final MB, my mentor had to attend the surgical viva (a regular event for all students at that time), and was invited to the distinction viva of internal medicine.

The surgical one came first. The moustache man entered the room, sat down, and saw two examiners. The more senior one said, "Well, before we ask you any question, you may ask us one."

"Good," the nephrology professor-to-be answered, "My question is: May I go now ?"

I shall tell you tomorrow what happened to him.

No comments: