Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Lag

I set off to San Diego on a public holiday. Vivian took the chance and brought Euterpe to the airport. Our girl was, of course, overjoyed.

As an academic staff, I am a rare specimen of infrequent traveler - in fact this was the first time I went for an international conference this year. (I always hold the opinion that most of the academic conferences actually have very little academic value. True, they remain essential because of the commercial value - but that's not a reason to attend.)

*******************************

Take aside a few exceptional circumstances, jet lag is hardly ever a problem to me. I could sleep alright the airplane, and my addiction to caffeine helps a lot. You know what, every time before going overseas, I stop drinking coffee for a day or two as well as throughout the journey. On the first morning that I am in another country, the first dose of caffeine would be resumed, follow by a regular twice-daily dose.

PS. As a rule, I drink Starbucks only when I am away for a conference. Somehow, this year, their regular coffee tastes less strong than previous years - and the price is 5-cent lower than the small shop nearby.

Not a good sign for its shareholders.

No comments: