Monday, August 30, 2010

Bodyguards

Shortly before I finished with my paternity leave, I had the rare opportunity of enjoying a quiet evening and watch a movie on the TV.

It was Bodyguards and Assassins (十月圍城).

The film was quite a hit when it was on the theatre; I believe many of the audience here would have watched it. In fact, I knew the plot well, and I turned off the television after an hour or so.

Let alone its artistic achievement, I must say I was thoroughly impressed by the story. (You know, I have a slightly weird definition of impressed.) In essence, Mr. Sun Yat Sen arrived Hong Kong in October 1905; the Qing Empire sent out an entire troop to kill him during the short trip, but the plan failed in a tragic way because Sun was protected by dozens of bodyguards from all walks of life.

The happening was, of course, nothing more or less than the romantic imagination of the producer. After no more than ten minutes of watching, I began to ask myself, “If the plan of assassination was so well known to Sun’s people, why didn't they advise the father of our country to take a safer route, or, why did he insist to come?"

Alas, the pursue of democracy may need some sacrifice - sometimes of our life. However, risking your life to support a giant in politics - irrespective to what he does - is not democracy.

In fact, it invites dictatorship.

PS. Exactly because the story was not real, the idea on revolution and democracy presented represents our contemporary opinion – that’s the worrying bit.

No comments: