Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Names

(Our dinner discussion continued.)

"I am also disappointed with that two-and-a-half year of sentence." Vivian said.

"Quite true." I was forced to agree.

"Sometimes I just hope I could have a volume of Death Note and do the justice myself." My wife went on.

"That's silly. Don't try that even if you really have a notebook of that kind!" I smiled.

"Why !? You think I would overuse the power and become a dictator?"

"That may be true, but there is a more simple reason."

"Eh ...?"

"Whose name do you want to put down ?" I asked.

"Well ..." my wife became hesitated.

"Were you a naughty child in primary school?" I went on.

"What do you mean ?" Vivian was at a lost.

"I presume you do not have the experience of writing tens of thousands of names?"

We both laughed - albeit in an atmosphere of sorrow.

PS. For those who are not familiar with Japanese comics, Death Note is the masterpiece written by Tsugumi Ohba (大場鶇). In short, the Death Note grants its user the ability to kill anyone whose name they know. It lends an opportunity to its owner to create a perfect world by removing everything (that he considers) evil.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

A Death Note requires a name and face. But you're right, I certainly wouldn't want to have access to one myself.