Thursday, November 4, 2010

Right

I must say when I wrote the blog that described my discussion with TW (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2010/10/property.html), I was not aware of the fact that JW - the Warren Buffett of my friends - appeared in the morning paper and talked about the same subject.

And the two had rather different an opinion.

More so, they are the two, and only two, distinction students from the same class. I suddenly find it difficult to work out which one to follow.

******************************

This little incident brings my memory back to the days as a first year medical student.

On one occasion, our class undertook a particularly difficult histology slide test (during which each of us had to see 40 slides and answer some questions). In the evening after the test, two of the smartest students of my class met in the canteen and checked the answers with each other.

To their horror, in only one out of that 40 questions, they gave the same answer.

Neither of them slept very well in the following days.

But, their panic attack did not last long. A few days later, the result was announced. The annoying bit was, the two of them scored the highest within our class. (And, as to that question of which the answer they agreed with each other, they were both wrong.)

Alas, when every one keeps making the wrong decision, a few correct ones would bring you to the top already.

PS. Seriously the opinion of TW and JW are not all that different - they were referring to slightly different contexts. Go read http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/cal-culator/article?mid=468

2 comments:

TW said...

I think JW is right in pointing out that buying property in the wrong timing could make a huge lost. But I just want to point out that in long term, buying property as part of the portfolio is a good tool for investment. Of course timing and location are important, just like if one is buying stock, one need to pick a good company and avoid buying when the PE is too high.

JW said...

I think TW is right. If one has got enough maturity to avoid the bubble, buying a flat at reasonable place and price with leverage is the best way to accumulate wealth.