Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rooster

During a casual dinner discussion, my mother wondered who should go to Norway and accept the prize.

"There are two, I think, representatives from Hong Kong, and I'm sure a few key persons who took part in the 35th May matter would go," Vivian said.

"That's exactly the problem. Who should go up to the stage and take the medal from the king of Norway? There must be a hot debate - you know what Chinese people are!" I smiled.

"What would you suggest?" My wife asked - knowing perfectly well that I always have an opinion.

"They could all go to the ceremony, but none should march up to the stage. Since the recipient is not available, they should follow the traditional Chinese culture." I said.

"Which means ...?"

"Which means they should send a rooster to the stage and get the medal - just like what Chinese do for a wedding ceremony when the bridegroom is found absent. It's definitely dramatic enough to catch the attention of all media, and it saves everyone from the undeserved honour of delivering the thank-you speech, as well as stirring up any internal conflict." I explained with a wicked twist on my lips.

PS. There is yet another reason of sending a rooster that I did not tell Vivian - the bird could later be used for another purpose.

Do you know the traditional procedure of getting entrance to the Triad Society?

No comments: