Saturday, September 17, 2011

30-minute

Like most of my colleagues, I used to leave an automatic reply message in my email server while I took a long leave.

During my recent absence to cover for the holiday of my Indonesian maid, however, I decided to do something different: I left no message and pretended that I was still around.

Oh, I did not let all messages ferment in my mail box. In fact, I got up half an hour earlier each day (i.e. before my daughters woke up and I had to start my day of housework) and used that bit of time to reply important mails and work briefly on critical matters.

Yes, this is an idea I learnt from Tim Ferriss, which I described previously (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2009/11/4-hour.html).

"Does it really work?" You may ask.

In fact, I had the same question before trying.

But, to my surprise, it worked out extremely well. I suddenly realize all my urgent-and-important matters (that is, class one items as defined by Stephen Covey) could be tackled by spending 30 minutes each day. If I were not on leave, I am sure my day would be very productive.

PS. My laptop computer at home is not connected to the Internet. Each morning I had to plug it to the board band cable of my wife's computer before starting to work. The procedure is complicated and I always needed to stop as soon as Adler - my younger daughter - cried for her breakfast. For those who are addicted to online games, it is also a good way to get abstinence.

No comments: