Monday, September 12, 2011

Cut

While I was worrying about the losing battle when we try to focus on the core value, HSBC announced its plan to cut 3000 jobs in the coming three years in Hong Kong.

Frequent visitors of this site may remember I have a special interest on this dinosaur of finance. (For example, see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2009/10/back.html and its related entries.) This time, once again I was so impressed with this ingenious move - both in terms of the strategy as well as the tactics - that I lost my nerve. My friend JW wrote on his Facebook the next day that he was fortunate for not being a shareholder of this company. Neither am I. Nonetheless I remains its customer - and am therefore equally concerned.

**************************

I shall not join the discussion on Corporate Social Responsibility, or whether it is moral for a company to maximize its profit by all legal means. Alas, I have a very low moral standard, and I always suspect there is an equal number of, if not more, widows and retiring persons who could only make a reasonable living if the wounded lion increases its dividend.

But, to begin with, there are better ways to fire people.

Let me explain tomorrow.

1 comment:

JW said...

To be consistent with my investment strategy, I have already moved 80% of my assets away from this bank in the past 2 years.