Monday, September 26, 2011

Sick

Met WK in our twenty-year gathering. He had recently moved to the other side of the harbour as a professor.

"How're the things there?" I asked.

"I suppose you know most of the situation," he smiled, "But, I just come to realize we are very gentle to our students in CU."

I was surprised. Knowing WK for over 25 years, I found it difficult to believe he could be called gentle to the students. But, I could quickly think of a reason.

"You mean, you met K?" I tested my hypothesis. K is a professor of hematologist of our sister medical school, a serious teacher, and a vigorous examiner.

"I was the co-examiner with him in the final MB, and I had no choice but to play dove," WK chuckled - and so did I. In my mind I saw a scene of the wolf with sheep's clothing.

"Was K that ... impressive?" I tried my best not to laugh.

"Well, let me tell you a story we had," my friend said, "Early in the morning of the first day of clinical examination, a student rang up the department office and said that he was sick - and apparently he really did sound so. Since the clinical exam lasted for a few days, he asked if he could have the clinical examination deferred."

"So ...?"

"The secretary checked with the chairman, and then they told the student that they could make the arrangement and he could sit for the clinical examination on the next day - but he would be examined by K."

"Alas. Did the student faint?"

"Not that bad. But he said immediately that he was not that ill and would prefer taking the original slot of examination!"

1 comment:

Vincent Wong said...

Bravo! I know what to do when our students want to reschedule the exam. They will be examined by me.