Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Soybean

Met my friend L again in the evening. He was, as his usual habit, reading the morning paper.

"What's up?" I smiled.

"Nothing interesting," my friend sighed, "I suppose that's why they put up the soybean story."

"Eh, what's that all about?" I did not even read my morning paper.

"Simple. After detailed analysis, our Consumer Council found that over 50% of the soybean milk on the market contains genetically modified soybean."

"So ... what?" I asked.

"Exactly. So what," L smiled, "In the small prints they said many samples contain only 0.2% to 1.1% of GM soybeans - obviously a contamination along the line of production - and they called the result positive. And they went on and declare that although there is no medical evidence that GM food is unsafe, it remains possible that there could still be undesirable effects to human body or the environment many years later."

"Logically they are correct," I nodded, "But I know what you mean. Unlike poor university academics who dread for fame and public attention, as an organization financially supported by the government - and regulated by a dedicated ordinance - they should not add too much spices to their press release."

No comments: