Sunday, January 13, 2008

Detective story

Read The Honjin Murder (本陣殺人事件) by Seishi Yokomizo (横溝正史) on my way to Singapore. It is in fact a very short story and I probably finished with it before my plane passed Vietnam.

Is it good ? My eternal answer is: I have seen better ones.

The first time I read any detective story was in the summer holiday before advancing to the final year of my medical school, under extreme fatigue following a whole week of assistant intern in general surgery. (At that time AI had to present in grand round, and the team head was AL - our previous VC !) The first one I read was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie.

For any one who has read this story, you could probably understand why I said I have seen better ones. Of course there are many other brilliant authors and fascinating stories, I could hardly find one substantially better - hampering very much on my interest in reading more detective story. Highly educated taste buds make a good gourmet - but at the same time one also loses the chance to enjoy everyday food.

No comments: