Saturday, January 19, 2008

Discussion

The man from Pluto sends out a mass email, commenting on the poor quality of the "Life long learning skill" assay submitted by our students. Materials are unedited copies from textbooks without considering the case being discussed (worst scenario I have ever seen: pregnancy as a possible underlying risk factor of pulmonary embolism in a 70-year-old man), and few students could cite relevant literature.

This is, alas, one of the uncommon incidents that I agree with an extra-terrestrial.

A collection of senior educationalists who used to live (I believe) in Pluto, but recently move out of the solar system, make several reply emails as a response - an eye-opening experience for me and a vivid demonstration of creative use of English:

"This project is not under my supervision ... but I would like to share my concern on their teaching about this project." (Boring ? Let's see what comes next.)
"I fully agree. In fact I have even more concern on the use of manikins for the teaching of this project ..."
"Yes, the use of manikins has a lot of problem in general ..."
"Maybe we should discuss how to use more real subjects for teaching ..."
"Clinical teaching is such a big area. I would like to share my concern on ..."

(Alas, what was we discussing originally ? Who cares !?)

When I was a child, I enjoyed very much playing the megaphones game (傳聲筒遊戲) - it is really fun to see how meanings of a conversation could be distorted when passed from one to another. I am so thick and could only realize now that many poker-face officials are in fact superb players of this game - in written language - and such sneak thieves in distracting our attention to the problem at hand.

No comments: