Sunday, April 6, 2008

Book

BM - another young colleague of mine - asks whether I have the collection of every edition of Harrison.

That's really an idea. (Oh, I am pretending to be Baldrick of the Black Adder. For sure you have not watched this comedy - thanks god.) But, when it comes to books, I am a head-to-toe pragmatist. Books are kept for reading or later reference, and never a third purpose. I put previous versions of major textbooks in wards so that I - and other people - can get a handy reference. (Yes, I keep the old editions of RJ Epstein and Ryder - that's because they are better written than new ones and cannot be replaced.)

"We should love people and use things, but not love things and use people." (我們應愛人而御物,非愛物而御人)

PS. BM has probably never been to my office - which is well known for my extraordinary collection of space and emptiness.

No comments: