Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Time

JW is amazed how I could find time to write my blog.

That's not too much of a problem. Some of my blogs are written while Euterpe - my daughter - is enjoying her milk before bed; others are done over weekends (usually Sunday mornings).

Of course my efficiency could not be compared to Fang Xuanling (房玄齡), the famous prime minister of Li Shimin (李世民). Being a hardworking official, Fang was well known to be able to finish writing a government document while - on his way to work - waiting for his horse to be fed (駐馬立成). In modern words, he could draft an ordinance for the House of Common while filling the tank of his BMW in the petrol station - or, as a poor humble academic, prepare a grant proposal while waiting for bus to work.

PS. I am sure if he were born in the modern world, our great prime minister would become the most productive - in terms of research output - professor of medicine. Oh, politics would not be his choice: he could meet no Emperor Taizong (唐太宗), and, more importantly, his paper could be understood !

No comments: