Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Responsible

There is again a TV program on Sunday talking about the problem of MOI (Media of Instruction, 母語教學).

Vivian remarks, "This is no doubt the worst legacy of our previous CE." I node with agreement. She goes on, "And anyone who was asked to promote the policy would certainly put an end to his political career - look at our previous VC. I cannot imagine a professor of surgery did not see the problem right at the beginning."

"No difference there," I say coldly, "He works out all the details."

"But he is not the one who began the disaster !" Vivian is standing on the side of surgeon, of course.

"Do you think Hideki Tojo (東條英機) could blame all his doings to Emperor Showa (裕仁天皇) ?"

PS. Vivian certainly thinks I am a bit harsh. Nonetheless, take aside our patriotic feeling, I am sure the Japanese prime minister wholeheartedly believed what he did was good for his country. It is no doubt a worse crime to know something being harmful (to children !) and carry on - with an aim to climb up the hierarchy of the political ladder.

1 comment:

JW said...

I start to realise you have more guts than the gastroenterologists do