Sunday, January 17, 2010

Egg

If you consider shark fin too expensive or not that friendly to the environment, there is no short of cheap but tasty food around.

For example, how about an egg ?

My friend KM recently described his experience of boiling an egg (see http://drkmchow.blogspot.com/2010/01/eggs-on-my-face.html). Although I know how to boil an egg in theory, and I was one of those who laughed at him when he told the story to us during a meeting, I must admit I have never boil an egg myself.

Neither did I ever steam one. Yes, I do a bit of cooking, but I always make scrambled or fried eggs.

You know, one favorite test that Chua Lam (蔡瀾) put up for a chef is to make an egg. Simple as it seems, it is also most testing - because an elaborated technique generally does not work.

For me, if resource is not a problem, I would roast a pig on coal fire. When the pig is almost done, make hundreds of needle picks on the skin over the back, so that some of the subcutaneous fat leaks out. I will then break an egg onto the red-hot pig's back (now covered with a layer of grease), take the whole thing out of the fire, let the egg set (with the yolk still liquid), and serve with that layer of roast pig skin.

Alas, WAKE UP ! Let's go back to work.

PS. What's the next egg dish that I would try to learn ? In real life, it would be the Chiu Chow egg custard (煎蛋角).

No comments: