Friday, January 1, 2010

Landlady

Had a short conversation with my friend L recently. He was not quite happy with his landlady.

"You know, she beat up her son again."

"Oh, I hear it so often. What's up this time ?" I was slightly concerned.

"Alas, the boy is no longer a kid and has seen the world. He pointed out that, despite making so much money over the years, she remained ignoramus and did not behave as a noble woman."

I couldn't stop making a wicked smile, "Well, was he beaten up for spreading a rumour or leaking the truth?"

"Neither," my friend sighed, "That's the worrying bit. My landlady thought that her son was secretly planning to take over her business !"

And a famous Chinese saying came through my mind: 君子眼中,天下滔滔皆是君子。小人眼中,世上無一而非小人。

PS. The sobering truth is: this statement of wisdom was made by Yue Buqun (岳不群).

No comments: