Monday, January 4, 2010

Holmes

Watched the movie Sherlock Holmes during the holiday.

(My first choice was Avatar, but, for a number of coincident, Vivian and I picked the second on our list.)

I must say, to begin with, I did not have high hope - as a rule I do not like movie or TV series adopted from a novel that I am quite familiar with.

But, I am happily wrong again. Although the story is quite simple and much of the logical deduction child's play, a good length of the film was used to describe the main characters - that's the most enjoyable bit.

And Guy Ritchie achieved an impossible mission: I did not meet new tenants at 221B Baker Street. Although the story is new, Holmes and Watson are the same good old ones whom I knew for decades - just that they have certain aspects of character that I did not quite notice previously.

PS. The story obviously happened shortly after The Sign of Four, before Watson married Mary Morstan. At that time the military doctor should be living on pension (as a result of his injury from Afghanistan) and had not returned to civil practice - and Irene Adler's photo should not appear on the table of the Baker Street apartment yet.

That's a minor slip.

No comments: