Sunday, January 24, 2010

WC

On the next day after buying the columbarium niche, I went to the farewell dinner of WC - a senior consultant of my department and a treasured colleague of mine.

I first met WC over 18 years ago, shortly after he joined the department - as soon as I graduated and became his house officer. At that time, he was the youngest one in the division.

"Now, I am the oldest one - and it is time to leave." He murmured during the dinner.

*******************************

Many of us know that WC is probably the most out-spoken person in our department. Although he does quite some administration in recent years, we did hear from him some comments of wisdom that evening:
  • Do not propose any change or new policy.
  • If your boss (or any one high up) proposes something, said that you would look into it.
  • Follow the regular rule to pursue the new thing - do not lead.
  • Never take any new policy too seriously - it may only last as long as the contract of whoever proposes it.
PS. As a house officer, I loved WC very much - he made most of his decisions by clinical judgement; investigations were minimal.

A lost art.

No comments: