Monday, May 24, 2010

Burma

While reading my morning paper on the comment to a local political star by Scholar #19, I noted that Chua Lam (蔡瀾) was planning a trip to Burma.

My mother was slightly incredulous, "What good is there in Burma ?"

"Quite a lot, quite a lot." I tried to explain - although I've never been to this mysterious country, the place is not entirely unknown to me, "Burma has a fine mixture of India, Tibet, China, and Thai culture, and there're many good Buddhist temples to visit."

"Indeed ..." my mother began to see the point.

"Moreover, Burma is famous for producing precious stones - notably jade and ruby. Even back in the Ming era, most of the jade in China came from Burma. You may be able to find some good and cheap ones in their local market !"

PS. My interest in this little place roots from several reasons. Aung San Suu Kyi is one, but, more importantly, the administrative skill of British people - when they ruled this country - was really seminal.

No comments: