Thursday, May 20, 2010

Vote

My mother voted on Sunday.

It's a slightly convoluted story. During the election two years ago, there was a mistake in her registration - so that she missed the chance to pick her favourite council member. This time, as soon as she knew there's a re-election, she was secretly overjoyed to exercise that right.

The problem was she spring her knee a week earlier, and was still walking with a limp on this very Sunday. Nonetheless, she insisted to go. As a result, Euterpe and I became the accompanying persons.

"Are you going in?" She asked me outside the vote station.

"Nop. You know, both candidates supported general election - which I am against. My original plan was to write that down on the vote. But that's useless. Our nominal supporters to democracy would still count mine as supporting their proposal." I explained.

The process took no more than 5 minutes. I took the opportunity and showed Euterpe what a vote station looked like. Alas, I wished so much to explain to my daughter what election and democracy is all about, but she's certain to young to comprehend.

And I should not expect too much - many die hard supporters of the day do not understand either.

No comments: