Friday, July 9, 2010

Art

My recent bedtime reading is The Art of Strategy by Avinash Dixit and Barry Nalebuff.

This is, in fact, a revised and expanded version of their previous book Thinking Strategically, which also read some years ago. Honestly, I would not have bought the new one if I knew it before hand - but I am happily wrong again this time. There are so many things new in this volume that you could consider it an entirely different work.

******************************

In one of the early chapters, there is a section on the trick of guessing the answer for an MCQ that one does not know. The technique is, slightly to my surprise, exactly the same one that I learnt some thirty years ago from a Japanese expert of public examination.

As Ayn Rand said: The truth is universal; it finds the human mind only as a medium of expression.

PS. Medical students, however, should not be too excited. Most of the academic staff nowadays have not been "properly trained" in that sense - and questions are generally not set in that manner.

No comments: