Saturday, July 24, 2010

Double

On my morning paper, there is an eye-catching title stating that one of our noble council members - who is a die-hard supporter of the minimal wage ordinance - is hiring workers in a salary much lower than the minimum that he proposes for his own restaurant.

(Of course I'm not surprised.)

But, wouldn't it be reasonable to do something that you believe is correct, even though the law has not yet enforced such a practice ?

It sounds simple, doesn't it? However, if we follow the same logic, all politics practitioners (it's a term of my invention; I'm sure you know what I mean) who support elimination of the functional constituencies should not run elections of this kind.

And, by that argument, all of us who support such an elimination should leave our blotting sheet of that category blank.

Suddenly I feel sympathetic to that mad dog.

No comments: