Friday, July 23, 2010

Chinese

While I was thinking of the prospect of Cantonese during my family dinner, Vivian made a curious remark on two of her colleagues.

"They graduated overseas, and they seem couldn't care less to improve their Chinese !"

"But why should they care? Chinese as a language is, seriously, putrefying. Look at our morning paper or what our country leaders say in the public. Our language is not stupid - it is possessed by a retarded ghost !" I said with a grin.

"Same for English if we follow your argument," my sister Jenny interjected, "The vast majority of Americans (and Anglo Saxons) could not speak or write sensible English."

"I do not agree - both for Chinese and English," my wife said, "Many of the ordinary citizens may not master the language well, but there remains a small group of well educated people with frequent exemplary demonstrations - in speech and books and newspaper columns. The prospect of these languages is not that gloomy."

"That may be true for English, because well educated people that could express themselves well would get to the top of their society," I sighed, "But, for ours, it's always something other than creme de la creme that rises to the top !"

No comments: