Sunday, July 4, 2010

Bookstore

It was raining like hell on Saturday and Vivian was on-call. I bought some hamburgers and french fries from our favourite restaurant in Hung Hum and we ended up having lunch together in her office.

The weather was less horrible when I left Vivian's hospital, and, almost guided by my basic instinct, I went to that nearby medical bookstore at Jordan - it was at least one year since I was here last time.

The place has changed very little since I first set my feet here 25 years ago, when it was first open. Alas, that was also the time when I entered the medical school.

(Before it was opened, there was actually only one small medical bookstore around the whole colony - at another corner of Jordan. This little place is still there, just next to that renown diary company.)

****************************

The only book I bought was the new 59th edition of British National Formulary. The original one on my shelf was the 38th edition, published in September 1999 - soon after I joined the university. The world has changed so much; things become more chaotic (as predicted by the law of thermodynamics) - the book has expanded from 750 pages to over 1000.

The cover has changed from green to purple, but the content remains very much the same - although a bit more complicated.

Rather symbolic, I believe.

No comments: