Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bus

For more than once, Vivian and friends of mine asked why don’t I drive to work – knowing perfectly well that I do have a driving license.

But, I really prefer taking a bus.

True, it takes slightly longer by the public transport. Nonetheless, in a very early hour of the morning, taking a bus remains comfortable and convenient; a few minutes of waiting in the bus stop is also refreshing.

More importantly, during that 20 or 30 minutes of trip I have no traffic light or road condition to worry. I enjoy doing nothing and just allow my mind wonder. You may suggest reading some journal. In fact, my friend KM loves to do so on his way to the hospital, but I find it difficult to concentrate. Many people would also concentrate on their iPhone or other electronic gadgets; I consider that a pathological (and addictive) behavior. If not social phobia and avoidance, why should one prefer focusing on the tiny little world within that 7-inch screen and neglect the real world that occupies the whole of our visual field?

And, in fact, after a good night of sleep, licht tends to develop early in the morning; many of my ideas – grant applications, examination questions, and even topics for my blog – come from this little daily journey.

PS. I am not mad enough to pretend Sherlock Holmes and make the attempt to guess what kind of people there are around me in the bus – well, I did in the past, but have to give up this exercise because there is no objective means to prove my deduction.

No comments: