Sunday, March 13, 2011

Delegate

I must say I agree totally with what my friend ML said.

"As some extra-terrestrials said, in order to ease off the manpower problem, maybe the administrators should first reduce the workload of our front line doctors and delegate simple tasks to other supporting staff." I said to myself.

********************************

After the lunch, I attended a symposium arranged by some pharmaceutical company.

The talks were so so. Towards the end of the afternoon, when the symposium closed and I was about to leave, I overheard the conversation between the manager of that company and IC, an exceptionally senior nephrologist who was holding the university post that the man who used to have a moustache is now about to retire from.

"Aren't you joining us for dinner?" The manager asked with some eager.

"No, thanks," IC said, "I've got to get back to the hospital."

"In such late an hour? What's up?"

"Oh, nothing. I just want to remove the dialysis catheter for my patient." The nephrologist replied - his voice was slightly embarrassed.

"Couldn't that be done by nurses? I think they used to be doing so."

"Yes, they did, but they do not agree to do it any further because of the recent incidence of stroke after the catheter was removed." The senior nephrologist sighed.

Alas, contrary to my hope, there is actually upward delegation over the years.

No comments: