Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Donor

Our faculty is about to celebrate the 30th anniversary. Just so happened we had another luncheon discussion.

"Have you heard of the donation?" LS asked..

"No, or I should say not yet," I said (knowing perfectly well that I had not heard of many faculty matters), "What's up?"

"You know, they are trying to set up a fund of HK$1M to support some of the student affair," my friend explained, "Their plan is to solicit ten donations, each of ten thousand dollars, from the first ten classes of our school - so there would be one hundred donors altogether."

"It sounds great," I said, "What exactly is the money for?"

"Alas, they have not fixed up the idea - yet," another one around the table twisted his lips.

I pursed mine, "Brilliant. But I suspect they could easily find that one million dollar by asking our final year students to do away with their graduation dinner and use their money in a better way. I believe the dinner for two years would amount that much."

"You said that in the past already." VW pointed out, "I've read your blog. But that's not the point." (I suppose he was referring to http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2009/02/donation.html and the subsequent ones.)

"So ...?" I could not see his.

"Would you apply for a grant and say that you have not fix up what you are going to do?" The young professor of hepatology chuckled.

"I see. Nonetheless some of our colleagues may have to volunteer and donate - although the former verb may have to be used in the passive voice." I murmured to myself.

No comments: