Thursday, April 14, 2011

Trip

Went to Vancouver for a conference.

This is one of the best attended conferences amongst colleagues of my circle. Most of us arrived a day or two earlier in order to re-adjust the biological clock and took the opportunity to see things around. I was late in that sense, and arrived only late in the afternoon before the formal conference began. (And I was actually assigned to give a brief talk the first one in that morning.)

You may ask: Wouldn't jet lag be a trouble?

Thank god, no, not usually. I am just so addicted to coffee (probably only less than that Anita Mui equivalent of my department) that I take the advantage and stop drinking anything that contains caffeine (that is, not even Coke or tea) on the day of any long trip, and kick off in the first morning by a good dose of Starbucks - and the clock in my hypothalamus is re-set. (Of course I do the same for the return trip.)

The only drawback of this strategy is I am always in a lethargic and drowsy state when I get off the plane. You know what. I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel that I was going to stay. When we arrived, the digital display showed a charge of 22 (Canadian) dollars. It took me quite a while and I still could not figure out how much it was for a 15% extra charge. At the end of the day, I paid 30 dollars.

When I came to realize what actually happened, the taxi driver was, obviously, long disappeared.

Well, yes, that also help waking me up.

No comments: