Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Please


(My conversation with S continued.)

“I appreciate your kind words,” S smiled, “But that doesn’t really solve the problem: How should I live on another planet while keeping in touch with the Earth?”

“I’m afraid you’ve asked the wrong person,” I murmured, “Nonetheless, while talking to you, an old saying keeps flashing through my mind: You can fool all people for a short while, you can also fool a few persons forever, but you cannot fool all people forever.”

“What’s that to do with administration?” S was puzzled.

“An administrator can please all people for a short while – usually by giving away candies,” I explained, “One can also please a few persons forever by discrimination and biased policies – look what our government did for the Li’s family. Although it is impossible – and in fact self defeating – to please everyone forever, my friend, when you become a real administrator, I hope you could please the maximum number of people for the longest period of time. True, you may upset a few and jeopardize their benefit, but that’s the leader we need!”

PS. In retrospect, I should suggest my friend to read The Prince of Niccolo Machiavelli.

Well, as an ordinary citizen, maybe not.

No comments: